Rock star calls peer to peer lending 'anarchy in its finest form'

Share Ross, former bassist for the platinum-selling EMI recording artists Vixen and guitarist and singer for Bubble, has produced a video for Lending Club's video contest with her husband. She's a believer and says, "person to person lending is a wonderful example of anarchy in its finest form! It's grassroots and a simple concept." I think she's a great spokesperson. If her video doesn't win, Lending Club should consider hiring her to to make more videos and get the word out about person to person lending. The video, which is embedded at the end of this article or available on YouTube, is very professionally produced and has some great music and clipart. In an email exchange, Share told us about her video and how she feels about person to person lending.

How did you hear about the Lending Club video contest?

I heard about the contest through a friend of mine on Facebook. I was already familiar with Prosper but had never heard of Lending Club. They're a little bit different to Prosper and I like the Facebook connection, too.

Where did you get the idea to create this video?

My husband and I read the contest rules and thought the simplest way to make the video would be to treat it like a tv commercial. We talked about various ways to do it and decided the simplest approach was the best. Suddenly I was elected to be the spokesperson! ha! I don't know how actors remember all their lines because I sure had a tough time remembering the script that I wrote! ha!

Tell us about how you made the video.

First was the script. We rewrote a few times and went over what graphics to use and how they could fit in. Then we went online and purchased loads of images to use. After all that, we filmed it in our backyard and my husband edited it all together in about 3 or 4 hours. Oh, and he created the background music on his computer, too.

Have you used Lending Club or heard about it before this contest?

I have not used it before and hadn't heard of it prior to the contest. I hope the publicity helps more people find out about it!

What do you plan to do with the $5,000 if you win?

The competition is pretty tough so I haven't even given it a ton of thought. We entered to help get the word out there. But if we were to actually win? I would give 5% to charity, 10% to the IRS, 20% as loans on Lending Club and the rest...well, some of it would go towards saving for our first home and maybe 10% of would go towards something fun.... like a couple of days at the beach!

Tell us about yourself.

I'm a musician first and foremost but that has led to many other endeavors. I was known as the bassist in Vixen and later, the guitarist/singer in Bubble. Now I host an online video podcast called Rock n Roll TV which is produced by my husband and me. We also do some video editing work for record labels. Recently, I published a knitting book called Punk Knits, too!

Anything else you would like to add?

I believe that person to person lending is a wonderful example of anarchy in its finest form! It's grassroots and a simple concept. While I have not researched its benefits completely as an investment, the idea is pure and I respect that. There is something great about lending your money to actually help someone.